Sep 11, 2009

Elusive Picture of a White Squirrel

Share
Picture of a White Squirrel Robert Shaw had his Great White Shark, Buck Owens had his Great White Horse, Ted Nugent had his Great White Buffalo, but I have finally captured (at least in digitized form) Toledo's Great White Squirrel. I am not sure if this is a true albino, if it simply a color variant, or if it is a Sign From Above, but my three-month wait to get a picture of said critter has ended in a fruitful manner.

Of course, white squirrels are not necessarily rare, but I have had a difficult time getting the white squirrel in our neighborhood to cooperate for a photo session. This evening, though, that fickle vixen Fortuna smiled upon me, and I had the necessary requirements at the same time: a) a white squirrel; and b) camera in hand.

Unfortunately, our white squirrel likes to hide until dusk, and so the image is less than ideal. Nonetheless, I have my elusive picture of a white squirrel, and now I will hype this minor photographic miracle to its fullest, sending hundreds of daily visitors my way and reaping the riches of traffic-based ad revenue.

Ahem.

13 comments:

chrismyers said...

Congrats Ahab!

Eileen said...

I had to share this on Facebook. I have a thing about squirrels. Amazing!

microdot said...

There was a breeding population of White Squirrels in Bowling Green, Ohio...
They seemed to be quite common on the University campus in the 70's and 80's.
Do they still exist in any appreciable number?
From what I understood, they were albinos and originated from a breeding program....

Randy said...

My mother used to have a white cat who was a ferocious squirrel killer. The only one he left alone was the white squirrel that started turning up. We wondered if he thought it was a sign.

Mr. Puggle said...

hahaha, congrats on the traffic and gettin' the shot.

historymike said...

Chris:

Loved the Melville reference!

historymike said...

Eileen:

I also share fondness for squirrels, and I would have to be quite starved and emaciated to consider them anything but "fun."

historymike said...

Microdot:

Not sure, but I remember reading something about it years ago.

historymike said...

Randy:

Definitely a sign. Call your broker.

historymike said...

Mr. Puggle:

"Picture of a white suirrel" ranks high for this website in Google searches now, but it is only sending me a dozen hits a day or so. I guess very few people really give too hoots after all.

steve said...

Robert Shaw's "Quint", when He details the story of the USS Indianapolis.. The greatest acting moment in film history - for me anyway. Still gives me goosebumps.

Shelly said...

Take a trip to Brevard, North Carolina. 45 Minutes South of Asheville, North Carolina. We have TONS of wild white squirrels here. They are not albinos but true white squirrels. Come see...

Anonymous said...

I was driving through my sister's neighborhood (in Maumee, Ohio)and saw two black squirrels. I remembered the white squirrels from the BGSU campus at the same time, and wanted to know if they were still living on the campus or surrounding area. I went to BGSU in the mid-eighties, and there were'nt many back then. And from what I heard, it had nothing to do with any experimental breeding program.