Sep 20, 2009

Gotta Get Me Some Symphyotrichum Novae-Angliae

Share
Pictured on your left is an image of the New England aster, known to scientists as Symphyotrichum novae-angliae. I have been seeing these on the roadsides the last week or two, and my sharp-eyed wife correctly identified them as a member of the aster family until I could research the flowers on these here Intarwebs.

The New England aster is native to much of North America east of the Rocky Mountains, and it is quite a hardy perennial. My only goal is to procure some of these flowers from a roadside or a ditch, and then to see how well they can tolerate the paw traffic and restroom proclivities of my dogs. The mums I planted did not fare so well this year, and I am always a sucker for wildflowers that propagate and spread in semi-shady areas.

I would have pulled over and dug myself up some New England asters, but we were attending a wedding in Michigan, and I figured the plants would not appreciate sitting in the car for six hours. That, and I had on a suit - I think it is bad form to arrive at a wedding covered in soil and burrs.

3 comments:

microdot said...

I salute your guerilla gardening attempts! So many plants that we have now and brought with us from our old house were started from purloined cuttings...
Afew years ago, I dug up a number of wild primroses from the road side and they have really spread...
For me, chrysanthemums do well only in groups...well watered through the year and now they are paying off with profuse buds which should be in flower at the end of October.

I suspect the same is true with asters, a flower I have tried to grow from seed with out much luck.
I suspect your soil is the typical sandy/loam mix of northwest Ohio, heavy on the sand...
I have very heavy red clay...

mikeb302000 said...

That's a wonderful flower, but does it appear only after the summer. Aren't things in the flowering kingdom beginning to shut down.

Mad Jack said...

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Washington, D.C. 20528

Dear Sir or Madam:

If you will give me five dollars, I will tell you that HistoryMike is stealing flowers.

Seig Heil!
Geisteskrank Jehoiachin