Sep 22, 2009

"Tokio Jokio" - Looney Tunes WWII Propaganda Cartoon

Share
In my World War II class I assigned students to find a short wartime film and analyze it. I was familiar with most of the choices the students found, but until this point I had not seen "Tokio Jokio", which is a Looney Tunes cartoon that mocks the Japanese and the Germans:

Yes, there is a considerable amount of racism here, though the stereotypes are typical for the time period. What I found even more interesting is the level of violence in the cartoon, and how standards have changed as to the use of cartoons for blatant government propaganda.

This is not to say, of course, that our government no longer engages in propaganda, but just that it takes less obvious forms. No Bill O'Reilly or Lou Dobbs jokes, please.

4 comments:

Mad Jack said...

Confusion say: Rady who fry upside down have crack up!

Ha! dat ah hot one!

microdot said...

I hate to say it, but I love that stuff...
It's interesting how inventive the animators at the major studios were and how they were able to unleash their libidos and imaginations.

I used to watch programs of WW2 propaganda cartoons at the St. Marks Church in the East Village. Cartoonists had monthly get togethers to show their work and there was always a film program.

My favorite of all time was Gremlins From The Kremlin...
It was a Warners Bros piece that used actual rotoscoped animation of Hitler....
Hitler, who does not like the way the war is going, decides to personally fly a plane to bomb Moscow, but on the way, those pesky little Gremlins from the Kremlin start singing and dancing and destroying the plane.
Funny, I thought of this cartoon while I was watching the end of the French TV series Apocalypse...
A massive documentary on WW2 just this evening.

microdot said...

btw..I'm posting Gremlins after finding it on YouTube...
That's how America survived and triumphed in WW2, it was a cathartic release to have the great cartoonists working over time!

MadJack:
Confusion say: Why cheap Hotel rike pair of tight pants? No Ballroom!

Mad Jack said...

MicroDot: That's good!

Confusion say: Panties not best thing on earth, but next to it.

Confusion say: It good girl meet boy in park, but better boy park meat in girl.