Oct 12, 2009

On Vinyl Replacement Windows and Tax Breaks

Share
I took a break from dissertation-writing to observe the progress of the installation of some new vinyl replacement windows in my kitchen. Besides, the sounds of hammers and electric drills are not exactly conducive to the creative muse, though the installers from Toledo Window and Door were courteous, efficient, and out of my figurative hair after only a few hours.

My wife and I decided to replace our old windows because of their draftiness, but we were pleasantly surprised to learn that this investment qualifies for a federal tax credit for energy efficiency. Thus, the $1500 we needed to save to purchase four new windows will now cost us $1050 in the long run, not to mention the hundreds of dollars in energy costs per year that will no longer leak out of these windows.

We suspect that the windows will now pay for themselves in about three years, and perhaps even sooner if we have some particularly cold winters, or if global energy markets begin to creep back up in response to rising energy demand. Of course, if Israel or the United States decide to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, all bets are off on energy prices.

We deferred taking a vacation this winter in order to afford these windows. My wife and I originally toyed with the idea of traveling to Ireland for a week over the holidays, but perhaps a quiet couple of weeks in the increased warmth of our own house will be just the sort of rest we need. Lord knows I could use the time to enhance my studies on how to lose belly fat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got yerself some stimulus money, eh?

Vinyl Replacement Windows said...

Living in Texas, I did have a noticeable drop in my utility bills after installing vinyl replacement windows. I installed them myself which cut the cost approximately in half.

Mass Window Contractor said...

Do you have gas heat? Some of the gas companies give a rebate for new windows. Check out your gas comany website for an application. Between the Federal Tax Credit, Manufacturer rebates, and Gas company incentives, we're often seeing customers save 20% on the project! Here a good explainantion:
Replacement Windows in MA

7son75 said...

We've been bouncing back and forth between installing vinyl windows and a new front door. I think we'd get the most back from the tax credit with a door, but windows might save more in the long run. Even though this video was made by a door company, it *does* explain it pretty well. http://myenergytax.com

childcare said...

While I'm not a fan of government programs, IF we're going to have them, THIS is the sort of program I'd rather see. If there were a program to subsidize the installation of solar panels on my roof, I'd be doing that. Individual Energy Independence = NATIONAL Energy Independence.

Mark Martin said...

Hi! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about replacement windows in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about replacement windows. Keep it up!
Low-E glass is up to four times more efficient than clear glass.
We don't just make windows. We recreate history. replacement windows Boston

Kaieza Damien said...

Hi there! great stuff. Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative content, it helps me a lot, keep it up!
Sometimes it seems like there are people everywhere selling windows. You can even find them in the mall. It can be a scary proposition trying to separate the professionals from those trying to make a quick buck. But ask anyone who has had to deal with inferior products, terrible installation, or non-existent service and we guarantee they will tell you how important it is to work with a respected professional.

replacement windows or