Dec 10, 2009

Unnecessary Agitation

Share
I found myself stuck in a mile-long traffic backup this morning on Secor Road, as Columbia Gas crews repaired a half-dozen problems between Laskey and I-475. I grew increasingly agitated as my usual 8-minute trip to work turned into a 25-minute odyssey of aggravation. Of course, had I left for work at an earlier time that allowed for unexpected delays, I would not find myself facing tardiness at work, but that is another story.

After inching along the one-mile stretch for 15 minutes and growling in frustration, I finally passed the last of the obstacles and surprisingly made every light the rest of the way. I pulled into a notoriously busy University of Toledo parking lot fully expecting to find a lack of spaces, but there was a spot right in front and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Then I arrived at the Writing Center and found that the student with whom I was scheduled to work was stuck in the same traffic jam. Yes, I was still 10 minutes late for work, but I managed to avoid inconveniencing my client, and everything worked out in the end.

No need for cussing, no need for pounding my steering wheel. Chill, dude.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Cussing and complaining doesn't get you anywhere any faster but sometimes it's just worth it anyhow.

Ellie Belen said...

You need one of those meditative keywords to help chill you out when things like this happen to you. It took me forever to figure out what my keyword was, but one day it just came to me. It's snooze.

Although saying snooze while I'm in the car might not be a good idea after all.