Jan 21, 2010

Phone Harassment

Share
Over the past few hours come local nutjob has been making profanity-laden calls to my private residence. I was originally going to simply ignore the tele-stalker, but instead I am going to publish the numbers from which the idiot called me.

Both numbers showed up on the caller ID as "Pay Phone," but it is not difficult to create a fake caller ID signature. Moreover, both numbers switch over to what sounds like a fax machine after a few rings, leading me to believe that my stalker has access to multiple fax machines and is using the fax machines to hide his activity.

Phone number 1: 419-865-4979

Phone number 2: 419-729-2593

I have my suspicions about who would be calling me from Holland, OH and then somewhere near the Point Place neighborhood 30 minutes apart, but I will keep them to myself for the moment. Local news junkies probably know of a disturbed individual with such a stalking history who has a residence and a business that match these descriptions, but we will refrain from making accusations at this point. I am just documenting the lunatic's behavior at this point, filing the necessary reports with corporate and police agencies. Besides, if others are receiving harassing or threatening phone calls, it will be useful for the recipients if these numbers show up on a future Internet search.

And if by chance Mr. Stalker reads this? Get a life, dude: there are much better ways to spend your time than making harassing phone calls.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry bout your stalkers, Mikey! Maybe you could try RAID or another pest chemical.

historymike said...

Meh - I have had worse stalkers in my day, Anonymous.

mud_rake said...

Your description of the two locations lead me to a certain individual whose story of harassment was in The Blade some months ago- the person who harassed an occasional Op Ed writer for said paper.

Am I on to something here?

historymike said...

Muddy, you are quite perceptive. Said individual has a loooong history of such idiocy, and he started by targeting people who wrote letters to the editor. If this is the same jackass in my case, though, I am not sure what I did to cheese him off (at least in the past year). I have been quite low-key while finishing my dissertation.

mud_rake said...

What did you do? Well, you appear to be left-of-center in your politics and that's enough tick him off. He's a real mental case with a record of such harassment.

I'd suggest that you take this to the next level and contact the Lucas County Prosecutor's Office. His record may still be in their 'active' file.

SensorG said...

I stopped writing op-eds to the Blade because of the issue. It was one thing when my wife and I didn't have kids, but now why put them at even the slight risk so 50 people can read my opinion in the Blade.

It's just too creepy to come home to find your answering machine full of wing nut rants and veiled threats like ‘Perhaps I can stop by tonight to further discuss this with you? I work 2nd shift so my visit may be pretty late.’

I know most of these people are harmless nut jobs, but it only takes one of them getting the liquid courage to do something dumb.

Jason said...

I always sprang the extra buck a month for an unlisted number. Nowadays it doesn't mean as much as it used to, but people have to try a touch harder than they used to....

microdot said...

I have only recieved a few harrassing and threeatening emails from Toledo, but the worst ones led me to identify through my blog counter service that it was a certain fellow who seems to spend a lot of his spare time monitoring the activity of children at the local Toledo Mosque.

historymike said...

Muddy:

Politics are only a part of this weirdo's modus operandus. He repeatedly harassed Fred LeFebvre of WSPD, who is hardly a screaming liberal. I did have some heated exchanges with the creep on SB last year, and he seems to be the type of person who carries a grudge for a small eternity.

historymike said...

SensorG:

I know what you mean about the costs of public expression, at least when it comes to borderline psychotics. Ultimately you have to decide if the danger is worth your right to free expression.

historymike said...

Jason:

I agree, and I am kicking myself for having an easy-to-find phone number.

historymike said...

Microdot:

Some of these folks are more than just annoying - I think a few of them might be ticking time bombs who only need a few bad life circumstances before they go over the edge.

SensorG said...

Didn't give it a second thought till I had kids.