Feb 17, 2010

Squirrel Ingenuity

Share
I knew that neighborhood squirrels had been raiding my bird feeders this winter, but I did not know the method by which the crafty rodents had been defeating my "squirrel-proof" feeder. It turns out that I placed a bird feeder just a few inches too close to the feeder, which allows a squirrel just enough space to lean over, grab the feeder, and shake the device, sending a cascading wave of sunflower seeds to the ground.

I suppose I do not have the heart to move the bird feeder, at least not until the snow melts this spring.

3 comments:

GRBud said...

Remove the snow from the squirrel's perch and lube it up w/ vaseline. I prefer the medicated kind to add enjoyment to the rodent's predicament. If I may quote Paul Simon: Slip slidin' away...

Anonymous said...

Nice pic Mike...Dino

Charlie said...

In my old place I had similar issues, but it was raccoons. I too had the critter proof feeder. At first I let it drive me crazy (Wile E. Coyote crazy) on how to stop the non aviary creatures from getting to it. Then I finally lightened up and figured, who was I to be discriminating against my non-feathered friends. Either that or the coons won. To reduce the expense I just never filled it up anymore. I put less out and just put it out every day.