Mar 8, 2010

Sunset at 6:45 pm - Spring Must Be Getting Close

Share
The sunsets the last few evenings have been quite eye-catching, and it dawned on me (pun intended) that the sun is starting to set at a significantly later time the last week or two. This should not be surprising given the fact that the vernal equinox is scheduled to arrive on March 20 at 1:32 PM EDT, but I remain a bit caught off guard at the rapidity with which winter seems to be disappearing.

Not disappointed, mind you, just surprised.

I have been noticing the gradual receding of the 25 inches of snow that fell in Northwest Ohio during the month of February. On my daily walks around the neighborhood I have been hearing an increasing number of songbirds, and a number of trees are sprouting leaf buds - both sure signs that winter's days are dwindling to a handful.

I suspect that snowflakes will yet accumulate before winter officially ends, but their presence will no doubt be fleeting as average temperatures continue to rise. Even as I write this short post at 7:00 pm, my exterior temperature gauge is still at 49.4 degrees Fahrenheit, and the temperature outside my house today broke the 57 degree mark.

Welcome, spring.

4 comments:

Middle Aged Woman said...

Welcome, indeed. And not a moment too soon for me.

microdot said...

and suddenly, as spring seemed like a sure thing, we were all high rollers...the Dordogne is plunged into the coldest cruelest days of the winter.
All the more poignant with the glorious change of light...the flowers that are beginning to appear and a few days with out coats...
Now there is at least one and a half inche of ice on the pond.
I have to go to the dentist tomorrow anyway.

historymike said...

M.A.W.:

Agreed - I was getting batty myself.

historymike said...

Hope all went well at the dentist, Microdot!