Apr 17, 2010

On the Healthfulness and Comfort of a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Share
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich My lunch choices when I returned from work this afternoon seemed limited, and most options were varieties of leftover items from meals earlier in the week. My eyes gravitated toward a loaf of plain white bread we bought last week when my 5-year-old nephew visited, and I suddenly had the urge to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

There are few foods more quintessentially American than PB&J, and as a kid I carried quite a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for to school for lunch. Eating a PB&J sandwich as I write this short post brings back a flood of memories, mostly pleasant, from my childhood.

One could live and thrive for quite some time on the humble peanut butter and jelly sandwich. There is quite a bit of protein in the peanuts, and the jelly and bread cover quite a range of carbohydrates, including dietary fiber. While far from a perfect food, a person could do a lot worse than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

And there is a timeless quality to the simple PB&J, something that reaches back to our earliest years and connects us with the past. Even a young child can figure out how to smear the ingredients and slap together the two halves of the sandwich, and the PB&J can be tolerated by even the queasiest of stomachs and weakest of constitutions (save for those unfortunate to suffer from peanut allergies). I finished my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, smacked my lips, and found the experience to be - at least for the moment - the equivalent of the finest steak dinner.

2 comments:

Mad Jack said...

Wonder Bread! Helps build strong bodies 12 ways!

My very first biology experiment involved taking a slice of Wonder Bread! and failing to grow mold on it for over three weeks. Now, maybe it's just the mad scientist in me, but any substance labeled as food by the FDA that will not support mold somehow disqualifies as food in my book.

I enjoy peanut butter and tomato sandwiches, but only with home grown tomatoes; not the crap that is sold in stores masquerading as tomatoes. Added fun involves eating said sandwich in front of a hungry person who is deathly allergic to peanuts and who is unable to retaliate with authority or physical violence. In school you could claim that you were trying to enjoy your lunch...

Middle Aged Woman said...

Now I see why they call him Mad Jack. I am a PB&J aficionado. My preference is for smooth peanut butter, and raspberry preserves, although strawberry jam will do in a pinch. I love to buy jams and preserves from American Spoon Foods, but I never make them compete with peanut butter. My fave there is blueberry/lime spoon fruit.