Apr 14, 2010

Splash of Color

Share
The early start to spring means that my tulips arrived at least a few days ahead of schedule. These particular orange-and-yellow tulips normally blossom around the 20th of April, but they started opening yesterday (April 13).

I have been hedging my horticultural bets and planting seeds a bit earlier than usual, which for me is around Mother's Day. On the seed packets I look for disclaimers like "sow after all last possible frost date" and set those aside, planting only those seeds that a little frost will not harm. The Farmer's Almanac predicts that May 1 is the last frost date for Toledo in 2010, and I have seen dates as early as April 25 and as late as May 15 for this year's last killing frost.

However, I suspect that we may have already seen the last of the frost until autumn. It is over 70 degrees again today, and the 10-day forecast shows lows around 40 degrees for the foreseeable future. Since my bulb plants are at least five days ahead of schedule, the forecast looks good for the first seeds I have planted.

4 comments:

Mad Jack said...

Weather Nit Wit: ...and with this unexpected cold snap combined with that hot, moist air we've been enjoying, brace yourself!

Bubble Headed Bleached Blond: Why's that Don?

Weather Nit Wit: Well Brandy, when you put high humidity with cold temperatures, what do you get?

Bubble Headed Bleached Blond: A dry Martini?

Weather Nit Wit: You're close - snow! Lots of it, too. We're looking at -

Bubble Headed Bleached Blond: Snow?

Weather Nit Wit: Right. We'll be seeing -

Bubble Headed Bleached Blond: Brrrr! I don't like snow! It makes my nipples stand up!

::dead air time::

Weather Nit Wit: Hamah hamah hamah yeah, I can see... I mean, we can see... no, that's not what I mean. I mean, we're going to see just what we see. See?

Off Camera: Go to commercial.

Mad Jack said...

Oh, yeah, nice tulips. My red hot Russian neighbor who talks to me while I walk the dog in the afternoon has tulips like that, only hers look better. See?

Debbie G said...

You know of course Michael, that you just sealed the fate of a frost before May 15?

microdot said...

Please take my advice, La Lune Rousse, this year the last killing frost date is the 13 of May...well...I'm not sure about Toledo, but that is the peasant wisdom here in the country...
I learned about La Lune Rousse about 10 years ago and it has never been wrong. It is the lunar month after Easter.
It was nice today, I biked in shorts, but thunderstorms were on the horizon and the weather was moving in from the NorthEast....
We get warm enough days but still the nights are just above freezing.
It's funny to see just down the hills in the valley, some mornings, there is still frost. The atmospheric temperature difference in only perhaps 60 meters is enough to let us have clear skies in the morning up here on a hill and seem to be on an isolated island in an ocean of fog.