May 11, 2010

Interesting Retail Clothing Innovation

Share
For as long as I can remember, new dress shirts always came with 6-10 straight pins inserted to help the clothing article stay together during shipment. On more than one occasion in my life I have started to put on a new shirt only to be stabbed by a straight pin that lurked in a place I had not considered to look.

I traveled to a local department store to purchase a new dress shirt for a job interview I have this week, and when I returned home I was pleased to discover that the usual straight pins had been replaced by metallic objects that somewhat resemble thick paper clips (see image). The ends of the half-clips have a rounded ball, meaning that I would have to work very diligently to stab myself with one of these devices.

Of course, if I do not land the aforementioned academic position, I can always blame the break in tradition represented by the manufacturer's replacement of the time-honored straight pins with these mbɛn-shaped clips.

Win-win-win.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of job are you applying for with a pink shirt, Mikey, a circus ringleader?

)-D

Mad Jack said...

No straight pins? Pink shirt? Couldn't be...

historymike said...

Anonymous:

The color is a light purple - I think the lighting on my kitchen table added an orangeish hue.

And it's an academic job - tenure track with a decent salary. Perhaps "circus ringleader" does indeed fit the job description on some days...

historymike said...

MadJack:

Yeppers - I must be going metrosexual in my old age.

Eric said...

Finally! I couldn't even tell you the number of times I've been stabbed by those things. Women's clothing doesn't ever stab them. It's about time we have something less painful.