May 8, 2010

Jesus Saves Stock Car Drivers

Share
I came across an interesting sight on southbound Interstate 75 near Monroe, MI. Pictured on your left is a box truck towing a stock car, and emblazoned on the rear spoiler of the racing machine are the words "JESUS SAVES." In the cab of the truck were two men who probably can best be described as "good old boys," a pair of baseball cap wearing, sleeveless T-shirt types drinking Mountain Dew on a hot spring afternoon likely en route to a weekend race at the Toledo Speedway, which was hosting the Valvoline Summer Racing Series until the storms cancelled the event.

Now, it is not the fact that these motor sport enthusiasts chose to express their religious beliefs on their vehicle that amused me. Instead, it is the plethora of safety gear on the stock car that seems to be the hedging of a bet: if indeed a driver can count on the saving grace of Jesus, why bother retrofitting the vehicle to prevent accident-based injuries?

Just askin'.

4 comments:

Jason said...

It's probably along the lines of what I'm told is an old Arabic saying: "Trust in God, but first tie your camel securely."

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the following old joke...

"A terrible flood had come over the land. The waters rose so high that one man was forced to climb onto the roof of his house.

As the waters rose, a man in a rowboat appeared, and told him to get in. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the rowboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher, and suddenly a speedboat appeared. "Climb in!" shouted a man in the boat. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the speedboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters continued to rise. A helicopter appeared and over the loudspeaker, the pilot announced he would lower a rope to the man on the roof. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the helicopter went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher, and eventually they rose so high that the man on the roof was washed away and drowned.

Upon arriving in heaven, the man marched straight over to God. "Heavenly Father," he said, "I had faith in you, I prayed to you to save me, and yet you did nothing. Why?" God gave him a puzzled look, and replied "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Mr. Puggle® said...

Funny!

microdot said...

Ahh for the good old days of Demolition Derbies at the Flatrock Speedway!
Now that's entertainment!