Jun 2, 2010

The Quote Shelf

Medieval text with Latin script A frequent feature on this site; feel free to comment on the quote or to supply a competing quote.

That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.
-- Charles Bukowski


microdot said...

garr, bukowski...if there was any man who could make drinking, alcoholism appear almost mythic, heroic and at the same time show the utterly pathetic loser drowning at the bottom of the bottle....
It is a mystery of the sheer will of genius that he produced as much as he did and of such brilliance while undeniably totally drunk for the last 50 years of his life....
Did he have his liver plated in gold and placed in reliquary in an obscure shrine for the drunken losers of the world?

Paul Swendson said...

I've never quite understood the alcohol thing. Heavy drinkers are apparently uncreative and overly inhibited when it comes to their personal life.

Mad Jack said...

The only drinking problem I ever had was when I couldn't get a drink. Now that's a problem. Drinking sometimes puts me in mind of W.C. Fields. Here are a few quotes from radio, with Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy:

W.C. Fields: "Tell me, Charles, is it true that your father was a gate-leg table?"
Charlie: "If it is, your father was under it."

W.C. Fields: "Why, you stunted spruce, I'll throw a Japanese beetle on you."
Charlie: "Why, you bar-fly you, I'll stick a wick in your mouth, and use you for an alcohol lamp!"

Then there's the famous line from WC:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

I think this is a bloody mary morning.

microdot said...

Paul, while you are probably morally correct in your disdain of alcoholism, your moral blinders inhibit your intellect.
Please, some of the greatest literature, painting and poetry of our civilization was producved by inebriated artists who self destructively took us into their personal maelstroms.

Jack, you aren't going to use V-8 juice for those Bloody Marys, are you?
If it's just straight tomato juice and tobasco, I'll join you!

Paul Swendson said...

I was trying (not particularly well) to draw a distinction between their personal and artistic lives. It's hard to say if the alcohol improved the quality of the art or if it just failed to ruin it. Ultimately, it's impossible to separate the personal and the artistic, I guess.