Jul 20, 2010

Film Review: Inception

The buzz surrounding Christopher Nolan's visually stunning and deceptively cerebral film Inception began many weeks ago, and I gradually found waning my resistance to shelling out first-run ticket cash. Over the past few days enough friends on Facebook raved about the film that my wife and I decided to venture out to take in this movie.

Inception was easily the best film I viewed this year, though admittedly this has not exactly been a banner year for Hollywood. I found Inception to be intellectually challenging, and I had to work to keep up with Nolan's efforts to distort and bend reality.

There were a few moments where my ability to suspend disbelief wavered, especially the way that the character Ariadne (played by Ellen Page) seemed to know much more than a rookie dream extractor/architect should know. Of course, I know nothing about dream extraction, so I suppose I cannot fairly critique someone more skilled than I in matters oneirological.

Part heist film, part science fiction, and part five-dimensional chess game, Inception is well worth the first-run cash, and you will leave with more questions than answers. For some folks, such a film is frustrating, but for those filmgoers who like to be challenged, Inception works on more levels than most films you will see this decade.


TLM0000 said...


Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Mike,
Thanks for pass this on as my wife and I intended to go see this one.

Being a man of science, I do enjoy good science fiction.