Jul 6, 2010

Red Poppies

Share
In a previous post I ruminated on the planting of some red poppy seeds I harvested from a patch of red poppies that I noticed growing at my 93-year-old grandfather's house last year. Several weeks have passed, yet the brilliant red poppies continue to provide a colorful display in my yard, and they appear to have at least another week left of color.

There is an interesting contradiction in the red poppy, a flower associated with wartime death whose long lasting and vibrant colors simultaneously remind us of life. I spent a few minutes in the searing 96-degree heat today gazing at my small patch of poppies, in sublime awe at their beauty and stamina. On a day when many of my flowers seemed parched and wilting, the poppies continued to blaze away in their scarlet glory, almost oblivious to the heat.

I plan to harvest even more of the seeds of these beautiful flowers this summer, and I envision a sea of red in my yard next June and July.

3 comments:

microdot said...

Well those poppies are associated with the poem about WW1, but when I see them, I see a field with out herbicides....
They are wild here and just now at the end of their season. There is nothing like seeing a field covered in blazing red poppies. I sow the seeds each year hoping that I will get more plants to grow around my swamp.
Little girls make a kind of little doll figure with the stem and blossom that lasts for a few hours until the blazing red gown wilts.

9258 Photo said...

When I was little my grandma's farm had the most beautiful poppies that would always bloom around memorial day. But then she heard that poppies were used to make opium and she was hell bent on killing them all off. Alas no more poppies.

Anonymous said...

@9258 That's to bad because only poppy species papaver somniferum can produce opium not corn poppies as pictured