Aug 23, 2010

Easter Lilies in Late August

Share
Way back in April I purchased a pair of Easter lilies at a local Rite Aid store. The plants were on clearance after the holiday, and I took pity on its withering, browning leaves.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the plants had produced new stalks, and even more surprising was that a whole new series of flower heads appeared in late August. Today the Easter lilies opened, and an otherwise dreary section of the yard is now awash white brilliant white flowers.

I am not sure if the plants have been tricked into thinking it is spring, or if my gardening prowess somehow translated into super-lilies. I suspect that the former is the correct answer, and that the post-Easter planting combined with an early spring has disrupted the plant's seasonal cycles.

Yeah, I know I have been posting a lot of gardening-related material lately, but heck: political happenings are ephemeral, and history will always be there to discuss. Perennial plants that bloom out of season, though, are magical and noteworthy.

4 comments:

flask said...

mike, one of the things i love about your blog is posts about what's in your yard.

sometimes i'm just so darn sick of stupid politics that i want to see some nice flowers.

and not goofy flowers, either. it makes me happy when manly men (i assume a certain base level of manliness from your posts) care about their flowers.

it just makes me feel that things are going to be all right.

mud_rake said...

I recall that last year, in the middle of summer, my Amaryllis shot up a stem and bloomed after all of the others had done so in mid-winter. Who knows how Mother Nature works?

historymike said...

Flask:

You are too kind, though I agree that the floral world possesses a beauty that can melt away even my deepest cynicism about the future of the world.

(flexes his manly muscles and belly flab)

historymike said...

Mud Rake:

I had to look up Amaryllis to get a better image in my head - what a cool plant! I think I will send away for a few bulbs and try them out at Château Brooks.