Dec 8, 2010

Bombed Japanese Radio Station: Peleliu, 1945

I have been looking through my grandfather's collection of old photographs in recent weeks, and I never cease to be amazed at the amount of history he has witnessed in his 93 years on the planet.

My grandfather served in World War II as a SeaBee on the Pacific island of Peleliu a few arriving a few months after the Battle of Peleliu. Pictured on your left is an image he took with a Brownie camera in early 1945 of a building that once housed Japanese radio operations for the island of Peleliu.

The pockmarked scene looks positively desolate, even for being a casualty of war. My grandfather told me that every week or so another Japanese soldier would be discovered on the island, continuing to hide and hold out hope until the end that the Japanese would eventually prevail against the Americans. Of course, with radio communications being severed to the Japanese imperial military command, these lone soldiers had no way of knowing that the war was mere months away from being over.


Mad Jack said...

From what I've Peleliu was the sight of the bloodiest battle in WWII, which is saying something. No less than 8 USCMOH awards were given to Marines for their actions on Peleliu.

When the action on Peleliu took place no one could know that the end of the war was only a few months off. I'm not sure that the people working in the Manhattan Project would know either.

If you get the chance to post a few more pictures, don't hold back any on my account. :) I really enjoy looking at pix and film from the WWII era.

Bluezy said...

I had a box brownie when I was 14 that I commandeered out of the storage box. It was 1972 and we were going through customs at Rio De Janeiro to come back to the states. My father was a USAID professor in Ag Econ. The exchange rate in Brazil was a dollar for every 5 of theirs. My mom had bought a lot of Liz Taylor sized rings. They had to pay to get stuff like that back to the states. To avoid this, I came up with a plan that they would not suspect and kid. We put what we could fit into it. I made it through. I was a teenage smuggler! To board the plane in those days in Brazil was a lot like today. They frisked you and checked your hair. I played the stupid innocent American kid with Sears catalog styles.
Now if I only could of thought of investing in the Guarana industry...I'd have a private jet.