Jun 1, 2011

Asparagus Curse Lifted

Share
I recall at least five previous attempts to grow asparagus in my garden, and each of the earlier efforts were dismal failures. I tried a variety of techniques, from adding heavier amounts of potassium to varying water levels to trying full and partial sun locations.

All were busts.

I looked skeptically at the package of asparagus crowns at the Andersons general store a month ago, but I threw them in the cart just the same. Weeks went by with no signs of life, and I was just about to till this space in favor of an easier vegetable like squash when I noticed the first asparagus spears that have ever sprouted at Château Brooks.

Yes, there are only four or five spears, and yes: there is still plenty of time for my dogs to trample these plants. Yet I remain hopeful that I have finally mastered the art of growing asparagus, and I look forward to next spring for the first bountiful harvest of fresh picked asparagus.

2 comments:

brooksk said...

Me, too! You know that asparagus is my favorite veggie :}

Mad Jack said...

Why would you want to grow asparagus? Who are you trying to poison? Nasty, disgusting stuff. If you're lucky Chauncey Gardner will see fit to provide some free excavation in the area. Think of it as urban renewal.

Tomatoes, now... there's something worth growing!